Wednesday, January 9, 2008

HORROR MOVIES, ANYONE??

Your life ain’t complete if you don’t have time to watch a movie or to read a book. Agree? I do. I think most of you do. I read and.. of cause, I watch movies too. What kinds of movies do you like most? Yeah.. a lot of girls like love stories. Guys; they mostly like war movies. Cartoons? Well.. I like them a lot. In fact, I have a large collection too. Ever heard of a girl who likes horror movies? No? Well… there’s one. ME!!

My friends holler at me coz I like horror movies. Even my sister keeps on asking me “Why do you have to buy a movie so you could get scared by watching it? I don’t understand!”. Well… horror movies always have different kinds of plots. Love stories have the same old story. A guy meets a girl accidentally… they fall in love… then the problems come… the girl gives up… and in the end… the guy comes up, gives one romantic speech and voila! the girl is back in his arms. Another famous happy ending is the guy rushing to the airport to stop the girl from flying away. He says how much he loves her, the people around them clap and they’re together again. Am I right or wrong guys?

I just want to share a little bit of my experience on horror movies with you guys. Those who watch them can agree or disagree with me. Those who don’t watch them, here’s a second chance to love or loath them. There are good horror movies, as well as bad ones. Let me tell you about the bad ones first. This week, I watched a movie called “Hatchet”. In the end, I was like “why the hell did I watch it?” Know why? Coz it contained a famous ending as same as in some of the American horror movies. The main characters… the guy and the girl survive in the end from the blood thirsty monster or the fierce ghostly spirit, and then again, in the last moment, they get killed! How disappointing! Hatchet falls to that category as well. I hated it.

Speaking of categorization, you could categorize horror movies, mainly into two types. Blood – shredding movies and non blood – shredding movies. But most of the horror stories are the first type: blood – shredding. I can remind you the names of a few non blood – shredding movie. “The Ring” is one such movie. Inspired by the original movie “Ringu” by Pang Brothers, this movie was a hit sometime back. The Ring 2 came in as a successful sequel after this movie, solving the mystery of the mysterious video tape. Pang Brothers are the masters of horror, as they call them. I believe it’s true too. I have watched the original movie of “The Ring” and 2 other movies from their movie squeal “The Eye”. Superb horror that is! “The Grudge 1 and 2” also has the same kind of the ghost; a woman. Step into her house, and you’re cursed forever; ands she will follow you to wherever you go, no matter if it’s the end of the world. Try the movies. You’ll be really scared. As for “Dark Water”… it’s fairly a good movie with a gloomy environment. You’ll feel like you’ve been isolated in the midst of the dark surrounding.

There are some movies I missed to watch. “The Blair Witch Project” and “Stigmata” are two of them. I read the background of these movies and found them quite interesting. Anyone got them? The other set of movies is the “Saw” series. Saw IV was out about 2 months back. Must find them the next time I visit the DVD shop.

“The Messengers” was one of the best horror movies I came across, which is also directed by Pang Brothers. The story consists of a quiet background of a sunflower farm, with less number of characters. The events take place in the broad daylight, unlike in most of the horror movies. Most horror movies end with the start of an infinite circle; that is, after the heroes kill the monsters, the movie ends up at the point where the heroes hearing a blood curdling scream. “The Messengers” has a wonderful ending for a horror movie. I recommend it to anyone who’d like to give a try on horror movies. I don’t know whether you can categorize “The Sleepy Hollow” and “Van Helsing” into horror movies. But I found them really thrilling. The story of Sleepy Hollow is woven around a legendary headless horseman who roams in the night in the haunted woods of the ancient village called “Sleepy Hollow”. The horseman rises from his grave to the call of a witch, who plays a role of an innocent stepmother in the story. The main characters are played by awesome Jhonny Depp and Christina Ricci. They comb the haunted forest together to find the grave of the horseman, in the foot of tree of the dead. Nice movie! Worth watching.

The second one, “Van Helsing” is all about a brave vampire hunter, played by Hugh Jackman, along with Kate Beckingsale. If you remember the ancient story of Count Dracula who conquered the land of Transylvania, Van Helsing has a lot to deal with it. Van Helsing was a famous vampire hunter, according to legends. You could see a lot of vampires and werewolves in this movie. It’s one of my personal favorites.

We’re still talking about non blood – shredding movies. Now I introduce you to another sub category; the movies with spirits… voodoo… curses… hexes and black magic. The oldest of this kind is “The Exorcist”. A little girl is controlled by an evil spirit and the story flows with the struggle to get rid of the evil spirit. This one is really scary. But take my advice; and don’t watch The Exorcist 2 and 3. They’re worthless. The magic of the 1st movie completely washes away if you watch them. “The Skeleton Key” is a story of voodoo and black magic, even if they come at the latter parts of the story. “The Exorcism of Emily Rose” was another good story. The plot goes the same way as in “The Exorcist”, but the only thing is, it leads to an unhappy ending. Let me tell you about another movie about spirits – “The American Haunting”. It is said that this is a true story and the only reported case of death, which was caused by spirits in the American History. This one is very creepy, believe me. And if you’re ever planning to watch “Pulse”, starring diva Christina Millian, don’t watch it. Cz the movie doesn’t even have a possible plot at least!

Let’s get to the ugly part now; the blood – shredding movies. The human-chop-choppers? Yes. The stories about butchers. This can get very very ugly, believe me. Let me name a few. The Wrong Turn, Hostel, Hills Have Eyes, The Hitcher and The Texas Chainsaw Massacre. Never watch Hostel ok? I blamed myself for watching it, cz it’s far too disgusting. The Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2 is also out now. It’s all about this beast of a creature that kills people with a chainsaw. “The Amityville Horror” was also made by the makers of “The Texas Chainsaw Massacre’. But it’s a better movie. A house stands alone in a beautiful surrounding. One day, the son of the family who lives in this house, slays all the members of the family, in their beds. The boy reveals that it was a certain video tape that hypnotized him and directed him to kill his family. This is the start of the story. Years later, another family moves in. The man of the house is haunted by voices and visions. The horror strikes again! “The House of Wax” is about a museum, made out of wax. Is that all? Why? The statues in the museum? They were turned into live size wax statues when they were alive. The group of youngsters (which includes Paris Hilton as well) who were having a night time cruising get lost inside this lost haunted town. I personally didn’t like this one much, but it has a good ending anyways.

I can go on and on telling about the stories. But I’ll finish my say for today after telling you about the movie I watched yesterday. It was “30 Days of Night”. Now, this one was really good. A small town in Alaska faces 30 days without sunlight. In the midst of it, a group of blood – thirsty vampires break into the town, killing whoever stands in their path. The main character is played by none other than cute Josh Hartnett. (WOW!) He’s looking his best in this movie, after “Pearl Harbor”, believe me girls! It’s a new movie and I loved it.

Well.. enough for today I guess. Before I wind up, let me give you a tip to choose a good movie. I know you people browse the net so much. So…. find the top 10 weekly UK & US movies whenever you can, and go the official websites of these movies. (Coz in the official website, you get more details about the movie). View the trailer, read the story and you’re into choosing a good movie of your choice. That’s the way I do it too! Best of luck guys!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

U like horror movies, cuz U r also creepy as a horror character, lol. Well,,, I also love those movies gal. welcome aboard. Dont forget "silent hill", a kinda emotional horror movie. We'll talk bout those sometimes.