Tuesday, January 5, 2010

COOK AS JULIA CHILD... :D

In my previous post, I told you guys that I’m gonna learn some good cooking as a ‘little’ thing in my New Year resolution plan. I already started it and I’m so happy about it. I was not a girl who was always sticked around the kitchen. I thought I can’t cook, to be honest. But you know… to know whether you can’t exactly do a thing or you can’t do a thing, you should try it. Without trying anything, you can’t exactly say whether you can or can’t do a thing.

I recently discovered that I CAN actually cook. I mean.. I did cook in the past. But I was never sure about my cooking. Up to now, the things I cooked came out well. The last thing I cooked was a Batter Fried Cuttlefish curry. It came out good and everybody liked it. So I thought I’ll continue cooking :D

Julia Child… Any idea who this is? She’s the one woman who taught French cooking to America. I watched a nice movie. It’s called ‘Julie and Julia’. Julia is Julia Child herself and Julie is a girl who lives in modern times who loves Julia Child’s cooking and makes her boring life successful by using Julia Child’s wonderful cook book. Julia Child refers to cooking as an art. Isn’t it fascinating? Well.. For all you girls out there who loves to cook, I’m gonna tell you about this unique cook book. I’ve come across many cook books. But I’ve never seen a cook book like this one. It’s a special one. It’s called ‘Mastering the Art of French Cooking’, published in 1961.

It’s in simple language, as in the language we ‘talk’. All her thoughts are written in the book in this simple language too. She introduces kitchen equipments and tells how to use them in the proper way. She even tells us how to hold the knives properly. She teaches us how to cut vegetables in proper shape and in the proper way. She explains the terms we use in cooking too (i.e.: beat, blend, boil). The measures and temperature conversions are in the book itself.

There’s a section she explains about wines. The book comprises of 10 chapters. Each of these 10 chapters include a large number of delicious recipes. Chapter 1: Soups, Chapter 2: Sauces, Chapter 3: Eggs, Chapter 4: Entrees and Luncheon Dishes, Chapter 5: Fish, Chapter 6: Poultry, Chapter 7: Meat, Chapter 8: Vegetables, Chapter 9: Cold Buffet and Chapter 10: Desserts and Cakes.

My lady friends.. This is a good cook book to have. Julia’s most famous dish is boeuf bourguignon. (It’s made of beef, but I don’t eat beef, btw) It’s pronounced as ‘Boof Boginiyan’. It’s in the book too. She does wonders with butter and sauces. Watch the movie ‘Julie and Julia’ and see for yourself, girls! I’m not sure if you can find the book in the book store. So here’s link to get it from isoHunt as a torrent.

http://isohunt.com/torrent_details/134846069/julia+child+mastering+the+art+of+french+cooking?tab=summary

Well.. Have a look at the book girls, (and guys, if you’re interested too) and tell me how the cooking goes.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ohh gosh ar u cooking.. LOL..Then definitely need visit ur home 2 taste ur cook..:) Really Tx share the cook book..i am downloading it. Hmm I was given one another srilankan recipes link by friend too..its seems to be good.. http://www.srilankanrecipes.info/recipes/
Gayani..

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the link dalz. :-)

Anonymous said...

i also downloaded d book and d film tooo
kumudu