Monday, May 19, 2008

IT'S WESAK AGAIN...

Yesterday.. was one of the most wonderful days of the year… the Wesak day. I wanted to write something about Wesak so badly.. cz I enjoyed yesterday a lot.. and still.. people seem to enjoy it a lot too.. One thing I love most about Wesak is making Wesak lanterns. You can either buy them from a shop or make them by yourself at home. Tell you what.. The best thing is getting together with your family and making them.. and.. when you get to decorate the garden with them.. it’s so much fun to do.. buckets… lanterns.. lamps lighting all over the garden.. it’s pure Wesak!

Well… for Buddhists like us.. it’s the most sacred and peaceful day of the year.. The best thing you can do for you is observing sil…As I believe, it’s.. well.. how can I explain it..?? Well… it’s sort of a very pure.. eternal and a spiritual thing… as a Buddhist… I couldn’t do it this time… but my best friend did.. But we all went to the temple at night… the most beautiful temple in the area.. the Asgiri Kanda Temple. Very peaceful… very beautiful… sort of ancient. In short; a real temple by all means. It’s at the top of a small hill.. where you can see all the city lights.. loads of sky… millions of stars… and a peaceful statue of Lord Buddha. Sitting by the statue of Lord Buddha.. in a peaceful night.. open to the sky… your mind can rest.. rest and rest….

The streets were full of happy people… walking here and there to see the beauty of Wesak. Colourful Pandols… huge Wesak lanterns.. the inviting shouts from dansels… boys in bicycles speeding in the road, blowing whistles… colourful gardens… it’s the pure Wesak spirit… and you know… people still do these things for Wesak.. Isn’t it wonderful???

By the way.. the picture here, is one out of the many I captured last night… One oil lamp in the garden. It came out beautifully, so.. wanted to show it to you all..

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

well...sis,I'm really happy 4 the fact v still celebrate vesak.v make lanterns...loads and loads of them all the time.Family is one that I cherish so much.
Although my life is so hectic these days I'm greatful that v enjoyed this vesak jst like the older days....
Lucky to hav u guys as family....I knw u all r lucky 2 hav me...
ur sis..the crazy dude...

Anonymous said...

Hmmmm.. Ofcoz Vesak is one of the most cheerful times for ppl in SL. Loads of celebrations... Even for me, from the childhood Vesak is one of the most waited months in the year same as August (month of Kites!!).

But i think i celebrated Vesak on good old days much better than now... with my busy life some of the nicer thing I had in past is slowly getting dropped or getting too simplified. I think it should be the same with most of but which shouldn’t hav been the case.

Well.., when Kemali.., tells abt all these things abt Vesak I too can picture the normal thing which happen around in vesak days…All there fun things are very good to hav, it relaxes ppls minds but as Buddhists we also should not forget wot Vesak really is..!! I nvr promote or encourage anything which spoils the spirituality of Vesak and I think we should remember the sacredness of Vesak if we are ardent Buddhists from whole our hearts. Happy Vesak everyone…!!