Thursday, March 26, 2009

I FELT THE WAR.....

I don’t know whether I was lucky or unlucky; but I managed to live through the last 3 weeks… which was the darkest nightmare in my entire life. I needed to get away with all my pains and look for a change. As I planned some time ago, I decided it’s the best time to go to Anuradhapura. Not a trip or anything. I seriously needed a distraction and to focus on something really good. Nadee akka is like my own family.

She lives in Anuradhapura, where her beloved hubby, Prasanna ayya fights with tigers in North. He was a Captain and recently, he got promoted as a Major.. Well.. I’m not very good with their ranks, but this is what Nadee akka told me. The most horrific battles are happening these days in Mulativu. He was in the 2nd frontline. While having an officers meeting, they have been hit by a mortar.

One piece of metal has pierced through his body, right under his left armpit. It has come out from his chest, barely saving the heart by one and a half inches. His left arm was broken and the joint of the arm was crushed. He was injured in a bad way. As soon as we heard the news, we immediately went to the Army Hospital in Anuradhapura to see him. I just can’t explain the situation there. First I was so upset, so that I sat for a while and waited. Then I started to walk through all the wards, looking at the injured soldiers.

What I saw was unimaginable. Legs… arms, cut… horrible burns…. Blinded… bleeding… blood… broken ribs… life saving machines…. Crying wives…. Crying children, hugging their fathers and brothers… Sigh… Me telling you all this, is useless.. You should… I mean really really SHOULD go and see for yourself. Then only you’ll realize how it feels like, my friends.

Last Friday, I left for Anuradhapura in the intercity train in the evening, with Nadee akka’s mom. The train reached there within 4 hours. For the next 3 days, we had plenty to do. The hospital allows visitors to see their patients 3 times a day. Each time lasts for 2 hours. Counting it all, we can stay in the hospital for 6 hours a day. Prasanna ayya was getting a little better. For his 3 meals, we prepare the things he loves to eat. But most of the time, most patients don’t get that attention. Most of their family members live far away, so they can’t come everyday. They don’t get the love and the care they need when it is needed the most. They cry…. But they like if there’s anyone to talk to them.

I seriously needed to do something for them. But they get all the things they need from whatever welfare societies here and there. So what I did was, talking to them as much as I can, and helping them in whatever way I can. I felt the war when I was there… People just listen to the news and they’re just happy that the war is ending… But do they really FEEL the war…?? Well.. let me tell you how I felt it.

Nadee akka’s home is just near the 4th Signal Regiment’s army base, which is also next to the Airport base. You don’t hear busses… you don’t hear cars… You only hear helicopters… They just.. come and come.. endlessly. When the sound of the helicopters stops, then you start to hear ambulances. 10 ambulances pass you by, but only one of them is alarming the siren to make way. After a moment, the van from the hospital heads the same way to bring bodies to the hospital. This is what’s happening in Anuradhapura right now.

For the injured soldiers in Prasanna ayya’s ward, I became a familiar face, after one or two visits. Then I went ahead and talked with most of them. Let me tell you one story. The soldier who was next to Prasanna ayya’s bed.

Name: Sampath.
Age: 27
Birthplace: kuliyapitiya
Nature of the injury: Left leg, cut below the ankle… right leg, fully burnt…
Cause: Landmine

He was injured in Puthukkudiyirippu, the LTTE war zone. He has remembered his friend carrying him and running to the helicopter. Two days later, he has waked up in the hospital to find his friend lying two beds away from him, one eye blinded. He showed his friend to me. I fed his several times. He was crying a lot cz his legs were paining. I confronted him telling him how lucky he is to live. This was one incident, friends. There are many tragic stories I can tell you now… But let me not be the one to tell it all to you. Just go there, friends. Help them. This is the moment they need you the most. At least I’m glad that I spent a few days helping them as much as I can.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wow you are honored.. You must proved to be having relation belong to heroes.. really they are Lion and brave real son in the mother of Sri Lanka… One day they can close their eyes forever with happy & proved since they have done real and marvelous service to motherland. Anyway I am wishing in my bottom of heart to get well soon ur brave Ayya and whole lions who wounded in the battle.
Gayani…