Monday, April 14, 2008

TRADITIONS.. CUSTOMS AND NEW YEAR...

The Sinhala and Tamil New Year is over. Coming home from my uncle’s place after dinner, I couldn’t help thinking about this very thing about the whole New Year thing. How many of us still follow all the customs and traditions in the New Year? As I know.. most people buy all the types of oil cakes, so that they don’t have to spend time on making them. During ‘Nonagathaya’ you’re not suppose to eat anything, as I know. But most of the people don’t follow them, do they?

At our home.. we follow all the traditions…and yes, we make all the new year food at home. I say.. will this day be any different than any other day if you don’t follow the traditions? New Year is the perfect time to be with your family.. and together you can clean the house.. make oil cakes.. play games.. etc..

Another thing I noted… People just buy Aurudu food from shops, so how will they know how to make them? Most people don’t. ‘Konda kevum’ is a very tasty type of Aurudu food. Through my lifetime.. I came across very few people who know to make them correctly. Buy it from a shop and that’s it.

Getting to the point.. what I was thinking is.. traditions and customs.. they pass from generation to generation. We follow our elders and what our kids will inherit are the things they see us doing. What if we neglect these traditions and customs? Simply.. they won’t have anything to pass to their younger generations. It made me sad to think about the whole thing… Just wanted to share it with you all.

PS : The picture is actually…. ‘Konda kevum’.. not bought from anywhere. Home made…

No comments: